Scale is 0 to 4.
Time of year visited: July
- View: 2 Secluded lake in the woods.
- Water: 4 You’re on a lake.
- Accessibility: 2.5 Only 3.5 miles from the trailhead, with a gradual upward grade.
- Solitude: 2.5 Only three campsites on the lake. You can’t see the others but you can hear them on occasion. The thru path does not run close by so no foot traffic.
- Comfort: 2.5 Flat and dry tent pad just above the rocky shore. No fire ring and a bear pole that is about about 50 yards away. Some mosquitoes in mid July.
- Coolness: 2 While there are more rugged and remote places to camp in Yellowstone, this is still a semi-private mountain lake that is easily accessible.
Of Note: This site is only 3.5 mile from the very populated Old Faithful area. So if you’re just looking for an overnighter in the area but still want to see the park sites, this is a good choice. With the trailhead literally outside our cabin door, we were able to hit the trail after supper, and were back in time for breakfast. But much more adventurous backcountry camping awaits in Yellowstone.